While a tooth extraction is not how most people would like to spend their afternoon, there is good news. It is a fairly quick procedure with relatively short recovery time. Below you will find information on tooth extractions and how to ensure your recovery time is as short as possible. To learn more about managing tooth extraction pain, get in touch with Lombard Dental. As your trusted Thousand Oaks Dentist, we are here to make your dental visits something to look forward to!
The necessity for a tooth extraction could be for various reasons, including:
- A crowded mouth
- Risk of infection
- A tooth damaged from trauma or decay
Once it has been determined that tooth extraction is necessary, the extraction itself is quite fast. A dentist or oral surgeon will administer an injection of local anesthetic which will numb the area where the tooth will be removed. This will help with tooth extraction pain during the procedure. However, it is important to note that you still may feel pressure during the actual procedure. In some cases, dentists will provide general anesthetic. This will put the patient under during the actual procedure. The type of anesthetic will depend on your specific needs and your dental provider.
Depending on the condition of the tooth being extracted, the dentist will utilize the strategy that is best for your unique situation. If the tooth is impacted, meaning that it has been blocked from breaking through the gum, the dentist will cut the gum and bone tissue. They will then use forceps to loosen the tooth and extract it. In some cases, a stubborn tooth will come out in pieces to maintain the integrity of the structures around it.
Tooth Extraction Pain & Recovery
After your tooth extraction, your dentist will send you home to recover the same day. Depending on your health, the type of extraction, and the number of extractions, recovery time may vary. However, most patients recover within a few days to a couple of weeks. Below you will find a few tips to help you cope with tooth extraction pain and discomfort:
- Prescriptions: Take prescribed medications, including pain medication and antibiotics (as prescribed). Following your doctor’s prescription orders will help with pain management and reduce the risk of infection.
- Apply Ice: Immediately after the procedure, apply an ice pack to your face in ten-minute increments. This will help reduce swelling. Make sure not to apply for more than ten minutes at a time.
- Take it Easy: Rest for the first 24 hours and limit major activities for the next couple of days. Allowing your body to use your energy to heal will help with your recovery time.
- No Smoking: Refrain from smoking as this can prolong your healing time.
- Oral Care: Avoid rinsing, spitting, or using a straw for 24 hours post-procedure.
- No Lying Down: Prop yourself up with pillows when lying down. Lying down completely can lead to prolonged bleeding.
- Brush and Floss: Maintain your oral health by continuing to brush, floss, and clean your tongue. Refrain from cleaning around the extraction area as you don’t want to disrupt the clot formed over the area where the tooth was extracted.
- Diet: Eat foods that are soft and won’t require a lot of processing or chewing. Some go-to foods for the first few days include soup, pudding, yogurt, applesauce, or smoothies (be sure to eat smoothies with a spoon).
Recovery is generally pretty smooth if you follow the tips provided. However, contact your dentist or doctor if you aren’t fully recovered within two weeks. Or, if you experience nausea or vomiting, redness or swelling, excessive discharge from the area where the tooth was extracted, or any other sign that would indicate a possible infection.
Tooth Extraction in Thousand Oaks
Lombard Dental Studio in Thousand Oaks is a full-service dental practice that offers a wide variety of dental services, including tooth extraction. The dental practice is under the care of Dr. Amir Jamsheed and Dr. Vadim Lebovich. Both were educated at the University of Southern California, one of the top schools in the nation. Both Dr. Amir Jamsheed and Dr. Vadim Lebovich are passionate about patient care and ensuring that each person feels comfortable when they walk into Lombard Dental Studio. We take the tooth extraction pain out of tooth extraction.